Skip to content

Connecticut Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Connecticut Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, non-residential facilities are required to recycle their fluorescent bulbs by the Connecticut Dept. of Environmental Protection
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Connecticut
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Connecticut

Recycling Options Available in Connecticut:


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Start Now


For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling

Schedule a Pickup
Learn More


Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information.

Detailed Connecticut Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency table below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go? Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
Connecticut No CESQG exemption Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent if shipped to a CT or out-of-state facility that is compliant with receiving state's requirements No, the waste cannot be declared non-hazardous. No crushing by anyone without permit.

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Address Phone E-Mail
Ross Bunnell Sanitary Engineer 3

Department of Environmental Protection

Waste Engineering & Enforcement Division

79 Elm St

Hartford, CT  06106

(860) 424-3274
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
  Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistance ("COMPASS") Hotline 1-888-424-4193 Available Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm except for state and federal holidays
  Mercury Hotline (877) 537-2488 Helps manufacturers to comply with the Mercury Education and Reduction Act

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
Universal Waste Fact Sheet|
Fluorescent Lamp Disposal Rules
Department of Environmental Protection Homepage

Sorry, we couldn't find this page.