Skip to content

Idaho Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Idaho Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Idaho Dept. of Environmental Protection and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Idaho
  • Prepaid recycling by mail is allowed in Idaho

Recycling Options Available in Idaho:


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps

Request Pricing
Learn More


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Start Now


For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling

Schedule a Pickup
Learn More


Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information.

Detailed Idaho Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go? Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
Idaho same same same same

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Address Phone E-Mail
Brian Monson Hazardous Waste Program Manager

Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Division of Oil and Hazardous Waste Facilities Regulation

Ray Building, Station 17

Augusta, ID 04333-0017

(208) 373-0490
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
Chris Evans Environmental Specialist (207) 287-5514 General Questions
Diana Mckenzie Environmental Specialist (207) 287-2651 General Questions
John James Policy Director (207) 287-2651 Mercury switch collection program
Mary Corr Oil and Hazardous Materials Specialist (207) 287-3545 Hazardous waste enforcement, rule interpretation
Mike Hudson Environmental Specialist (207) 287-2651 Enforcement
  DEP, Bureau of Oil and Hazardous Material Control Main Phone Number (207) 287-7688  

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
Lamp and Ballast Disposal Guide

 Click here

Idaho Department of Environmental Quality Home Page

Sorry, we couldn't find this page.