Skip to content

Kansas Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Kansas Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Kansas
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Kansas

Recycling Options Available in Kansas:


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps

Request Pricing
Learn More


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Start Now


For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling

Schedule a Pickup
Learn More


Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information.

Detailed Kansas Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go? Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
Kansas Exemption only for < 100 lamps per month (55 pounds) same same same

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Address Phone E-Mail
Jim Rudeen Compliance, Assistance & Enforcement Section Chief

Department of Health and the Environment, Bureau of Waste Management, Waste Compliance and Enforcement Policy Section

1000 SW Jackson, Suite 320

Topeka, KS 66612

(785) 296-1603  
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
Joe Cronin Permit Engineer (785) 296-1667 Permits for industrial solid waste facilities
Mostafa Kamal Chief (785) 296-1609 Permits for hazardous waste TSD facilities

Rodney Ferguson

Unit Chief Markets and Development (785) 291-3746 Recyclers contact
  Department of Health and Environment Main Number (785) 296-1500  
  Toll Free 1-800-282-9790  

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
Guidance Paper (PDF)
Kansas Department of Health and Environment Home Page

Sorry, we couldn't find this page.