Skip to content

Michigan Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Michigan Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in Michigan with a permit to operate/install
  • Prepaid recycling by mail is allowed in Michigan

Recycling Options Available in Michigan:


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps

Request Pricing
Learn More


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Start Now


For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling

Schedule a Pickup
Learn More


Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information.

Detailed Michigan Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations  

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go? Can waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
Michigan same Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state licensed MSWLF same Permit to operate/install required.

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Address Phone E-Mail
Jack Schinderle Waste Classifications Specialist

Department of Environmental Quality, Waste and Hazardous Material Division

PO Box 30241

Lansing, MI 48909

(517) 373-8410
Secondary Contact Title Phone and/or Email Area of Responsibility
Steve Kratzer Mercury Pollution Prevention Specialist (517) 373-0939 Recycling programs
  Division Phone Number (517) 335-2690  
  Environmental Assistance Hotline 1-800-662-9278 Environmental Assistance Center
Anita Singh Office of Pollution Prevention and Compliance Assistance (OPPCA) (517)335-2356 Air Permitting
Christine Grossman OPPCA (517)373-0590 Waste Regulations
Joy Taylor Morgan Air Quality Division (AQD) (517)335-6974 Mercury

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
Drum-Top Bulb Crusher Guidance Paper
Drum-Top Bulb Crusher Guidance Letter
Guidance Paper (PDF)
Universal Waste Fact Sheet
Fact Sheet for Lamps
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Home Page

Sorry, we couldn't find this page.