Skip to content

North Carolina Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

North Carolina Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is highly recommended by the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources and is required for many facilities throughout the state
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in North Carolina
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in North Carolina

Recycling Options Available in North Carolina:


Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps

Request Pricing
Learn More


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Start Now


For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling

Schedule a Pickup
Learn More


Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information. 

Detailed North Carolina Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations  

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go? Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
North Carolina same Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent same same

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Phone E-Mail
Lebeed Kady Environmental Engineer II

North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Hazardous Waste Section, Technical Resource Unit

401 Oberlin Rd., Suite 150         Raleigh, NC 27605

(919) 733-2178 ext 217
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
Doug Roberts Hydrogeologist II (919) 733-2178 ext.233 Electronic waste/UWR
Joseph Fitzpatrick Environmental Specialist 919-707-8121 Recycling guidance for mercury products
Barry Edwards Utilities and Engineering Director (828) 465-8261 Recycling committee for SWANA
  Division of Waste Management (919) 733-4996  

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
Guidance Paper (PDF)
North Carolina Division of Waste Management Home Page
Fluorescent Lamps Regulatory Status
Standards for Universal Waste Management part 273, April, 2001 Click Here

Sorry, we couldn't find this page.