Skip to content

Rhode Island Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Rhode Island Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is required by law by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management for all non-residential facilities
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is not allowed in Rhode Island
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in Rhode Island

Recycling Options Available in Rhode Island:


Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Start Now


For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling

Schedule a Pickup
Learn More


Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information. 

Detailed Rhode Island Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations  

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
Where can waste from CESQG go? Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on TCLP? Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
Rhode Island No CESQG exemption Waste must go to RCRA Sub-C facility or state equivalent No, waste cannot be declared non-hazardous after 7/05. Until 7/05, only if generator has specific test data that the lamps pass TCLP. Crushing by generator requires permit

State Regulatory Contacts

Primary Contact Title Agency Address Phone E-Mail
Beverly Migliore Supervising Environmental Scientist

Department of Environmental Management, Office of Technical and Customer Assistance

235 Promenade St, Suite 250 Providence, RI 02908

(401) 222-4700 ext.7503
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
Thomas Armstrong Principal Environmental Planner (401) 222-4700 ext.4412 Pollution Prevention
Chris Shafer Environmental Scientist (401) 222-2797 ext.7511 Solid waste facility management
  Waste Management Office Main Phone Number (401) 222-2797  

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
Mercury Reduction and Education Act
Rhode Island Universal Waste Rule

Sorry, we couldn't find this page.